Tuesday, October 25, 2011

After thoughts

As can be imagined witnessing the birthing experience brought me quickly back to the realities that Jeneson and I would be facing as medical personnel in Sierra Leone.

This is country of almost 6 million people.
The average life expectancy is 47 years.
Out of 1000 live births, more than 123 of those children will die before their first birthday
There are 0.016 physicians for every 1000 people

These are the stark facts about life in Sierra Leone.

Many people have a romanticized view of missionaries and of the adventures that they are having. It doesn't take but one of these experiences to realize that the reality is anything but.

Reality, like Satan, comes to steal, kill, and destroy.

But I will not let Satan squash the burden that God has placed on my heart for the people of Sierra Leone; to tell them of God's love for them and to show them through caring for them physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I will continue to pray in earnest that God will prepare me as a follower of Jesus Christ, as a Wife, as a Mother, as a Nurse Practitioner to go to Sierra Leone and minister to them. While I know there are many things that I want to show and teach them, I know from experience that they will teach and show me many things also. I need to be open to how God will work in me and through me.

Will you pray with me?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

praying in the spirit and in faith!