Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sierra Leone Diary 2nd installment

Thursday & Friday September 22 & 23

After finally falling asleep, Josiah and I slept through our alarm and had to rush to get dressed and grab a few bananas and biscuits from the hotel breakfast area so that we could leave and get to the ferry on time.

Side note about Freetown geography - If you look at a map of Freetown you will see that it is situated on the coast of the Atlantic ocean as an offshoot of land, the middle of which is a hill. The airport is on another offshoot of land and therefore the quickest and best way to get from the airport to Freetown proper is either by water or air. Now a helicopter ride would be pretty cool, but expensive, so instead we spent about $2 US to ride in the first class section  on the ferry for the 45 minute ride to the main section of Freetown.
We met up with Charles and Petra (They are the Canadian couple who have been there since the beginning of the year. Charles is managing all the construction of the houses and hospital) who were gathering construction supplies in Freetown and loaded our suitcases into the back of the pickup truck. It is a 6-7 hour drive to Mokanji; the first 2/3 of the driving is adequately maintained paved roads, but then we turned and the road turned into a packed dirt road riddled with road engulfing, waterfilled pot holes!

We arrived in Mokanji in time to unload the truck and get back in for an hour drive to a local mining camp for dinner. Mokanji is situated about one hour away from Sierra Rutile Mine. An interesting fact about the mine is that the only reason that they were able to survive the war without major damage is because they hired mercinary soldiers to protect the mine property. In fact, some of those soldiers are still on staff with the mine as security! The mine is a nice escape to get a good meal and some uninterrupted time. Since our houses in Mokanji are literally steps from the community well, there are often visitors and requests for help that come throughout the day. After such a long day Josiah and I slept well.

After a good night sleep, Josiah barely wanted to stay on the porch long enough to eat breakfast before going out to play. The kids (and everybody else) thought him quite the novelty. Because of the mine (they employ quite a few Caucasian Europeans and Africans) and short-term mission teams they have seen Caucasian adults before, but most have never seen a little Caucasian boy. Josiah had such a great time playing with all the kids. I love how play is universal and language barriers do not inhibit friendships with children.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

more more more :o)